Statement of Requirement (SOR) Development
Our Statement of Requirement (SOR) Development services can define project scope, lead time and budget estimates, specify environmental support systems, specify capacities and room size requirements for IT spaces, while ensuring consistency with your reliability and availability requirements (based on TIER level best practice standards). Through this process, we thoroughly document and identify your needs and requirements to your architects and engineers, for the final design of all critical support systems. We act as your IT infrastructure experts for the duration of the project.
Whether you are planning a new 10,000 square-foot data centre, designing a 300 square-foot server room, or replacing some ageing electrical distribution components and computer room air-conditioning systems, we will work with you to develop a proper SOR that will accurately assess and identify your requirements to all members of your design and construction team.
Because we are current with hardware evolution trends and their requirements (blades, VM, etc.), we are able to properly specify ‘best practices’ infrastructure support systems, right from the beginning.
A typical SOR would address the following elements:
- Data Centre (server room) shell construction (vapor barriers, security, acoustics, lighting, etc.)
- Access flooring, ramps, and lifts (if/as required)
- Equipment racks and racking requirements
- Electrical power distribution systems
- Performance grounding systems
- Emergency power generation systems
- Electrical wiring and cabling
- Electrostatic discharge elements (ESD)
- Computer room AC systems
- Heat rejection systems (condensers, cooling towers, drycoolers, etc.)
- Fire detection and suppression systems
- Access control and security systems
- Environmental monitoring systems
The following IT infrastructure consulting services can be offered to you, based on a fixed fee (when scope can be clearly defined) and hourly rates. These services are typical to most IT Infrastructure type project and are usually defined as follows:
1. Determination of basic requirements
During this phase, we shall determine the basic infrastructure requirements, based on Client’s operational requirements. Its objectives will be to specify the high-level performance requirements of the new environment. The requirements will be determined from specifications provided by Client and as determined during on site interview with IT Client representatives.
2. Preparation of basic infrastructure Statement of Requirements (SOR)
Based on the determination of basic requirements’, we will prepare a basic infrastructure Statement of Requirements (SOR) that will more clearly define the required infrastructure elements of the new site. We will work with you to develop a proper SOR that will accurately express your IT infrastructure requirements, to the selected engineering design and planning teams (engineers and interior designers).
The deliverable will be a detailed list of requirements, equipment requirements and specifications, as well as layout and racking drawings (VISIO) for all areas of interest.
As part of our SOR preparation, we will determine the rack level and specialty furniture requirements of the spaces as well as the electrical and mechanical requirements for the spaces (based on best practices). Our SOR will include drawings (VISIO) and equipment specifications in order to accurately communicate your requirements to interior designers and engineers for the sizing of electrical and mechanical systems and the proper preparation and design of physical spaces (i.e. telecommunications rooms, OCC, etc.).
3. Preparation of basic cost estimates
The intent of the service is to provide you with accurate implementation cost estimates to assist you in deciding on the final configuration of the recommended infrastructure elements (i.e. single or multi-module UPS systems, sprinkler systems, single or dual redundant power feeds, redundant cooling systems, etc.).
The scope of budget preparation will be limited to estimating costs that are strictly associated with the physical elements of the IT infrastructure spaces and critical operations spaces (i.e. the OCC, the telecommunications rooms and support systems, such as racking, rack power distribution, air-conditioning, UPS power, etc.). This estimate will not include costs associated with resources falling outside of the physical infrastructure definition (computer hardware installations and purchases, moving costs, etc.).
The following basic computer facility design and construction elements will be considered in the preparation of this estimate.
- Room shell enhancements (if required).
- Electrical distribution and critical UPS systems.
- Equipment cooling systems.
- Electrical and mechanical systems installation.
- Fire detection & suppression.
- Environmental monitoring.
4. Assistance in preparation of final design and tender documents
From our SOR, we can assist the designated engineers in the preparation of project construction and tender documents if/as applicable. We can also oversee and review the tender document preparation process (i.e. review meetings at 66% and 99%) to ensure client requirements are being met and are specified in the SOR.
5. Provide technical evaluation and assessment of proposals (tender process)
We can provide technical assistance during evaluations of the proposals received from the various contractors and vendors. Should you require a strict evaluation process, we can provide a methodology consistent with your evaluation requirements. We can provide detailed evaluation criteria, forms, and evaluation matrixes, based on your evaluation standards, and organize the overall evaluation process, if/as required.
6. Provide project management and control during installation phase
We can provide the following project management services, as required:
- Provide project management support during system installation phase
- Provide review of shop drawings and site deliveries to ensure compliance with proposal
- Attend on-site meetings to maintain proper project timelines
- Provide technical assistance and client liaison as required
7. Assistance in commissioning, deficiency evaluation and “Ready For Use” certification.
We offer a full complement of commissioning and tests for diagnostic services. We have a wide range of experience in troubleshooting IT infrastructure systems, both on the electrical power and mechanical side, which will serve you well during the commissioning phase. We also provide a full range of IT infrastructure evaluation services such as; power quality monitoring, infrared thermography, temperature monitoring, ESD valuation, forensic analysis of failed and particulate contamination studies (zinc whiskers, underfloor contamination evaluation, etc.) should they be required during the construction and commissioning phases.